1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. Set aside.
4. Beat sugar, butter, and vanilla in a bowl with a hand mixer until pale and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
6. Mix in dry ingredients.
7. Form dough into a disk.
8. Halve the recipe.
9. Roll each half on a floured work surface until ¼″ thick.
10. Chill in refrigerator for ½ hour.
11. Cut out 1½″-wide diamonds from dough.
12. Transfer to paper-lined rimmed baking sheets.
13. Bake until golden, 12–15 minutes.
14. Meanwhile, boil honey and ⅓ cup water in a saucepan.
15. Place all cookies in a single layer on one of the baking sheets.
16. Pour honey over the cookies, being careful not to burn yourself.
17. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
YIELDS: 5½ dozen
CHEF’S NOTE: To make this recipe PARVE replace the butter with parve margarine (e.g. Mazola Parve)
Source: Rabbi Alan Ira Silver