HERBS & RICE SOUP
- 1 pound lamb shank, cut into 2-inch
pieces, bone included
- 3 medium onions, chopped (1½ cups)
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup raw rice, well rinsed
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 whole fresh jalapeño or serrano chili
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, put through a press or
mashed in a mortar
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Put the lamb in a dry soup pan and
stir-fry over low heat for 10 minutes. Add the onions, stir-fry for 1
minute, cover the pan, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the water and bring
to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45
minutes, or until lamb is tender.
- Add the rice and cook for 10 minutes. Add
the pepper, hot chili, tomato paste, garlic and salt and cook for 15
minutes. Lastly add the herbs and cook for 2 minutes more.
Serve hot. Serves 8 - 10.
Variation: One pound beef chunk or rib ends of beef with bone can be
substituted for the lamb. Follow the same directions.
Sephardic Cooking by Copeland Marks