MATZAH, SPINACH, AND MEAT PIE
serves 4 - 6
TURKISH MINA DE ESPINACA CON CARNE
- 4 matzot
1 pound fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound chopped beef
- 2 tbsp pignolias (optional)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 eggs
- Soak the unbroken matzot in cold water
until soft (about 2 minutes). Drain very well on a cloth or paper towel.
Squeeze out the water if necessary. This step is important; otherwise,
the mina will be too soggy and not crunchy.
- Wash the spinach, drain thoroughly, and
dry. Then chop lightly.
- Sauté the onion in 2 tbsp oil. Add the
meat and cook until the meat is brown. Just before it is done, add the
pignolias, if using. Season with salt and allspice. Degrease.
- Cook the spinach briefly, until it just
wilts. Drain and mix with the meat and potatoes.
- Beat 2 eggs very well. Pour over the
spinach-meat mixture and mix well.
- preheat oven to 400 deg F. Grease a pie
plate or square baking pan with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 2 whole
matzot. If they break up, you can patch them.
- Spread the spinach-meat mixture on top.
Cover with the remaining 2 matzot. Brush the top with the remaining 2
tbsp oil. Beat the remaining egg and spread over all.
- Bake 50 minutes, or until top is lightly
The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan