- ½ pound butter of pareve margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¹/8 tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold water
- 5-6 apples, peeled, cored, and finely
- ¼ cup raisins
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp grated almonds or walnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- Using a food processor or pastry blender,
combine the butter or margarine, flour, sugar, and salt. Spin or blend
well and slowly add the cold water. When a soft ball forms, divide in
half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Combine the apples, raisins, and lemon
juice and rind.
- Roll out half the dough and press into a
10-inch pie plate. Fill with the apple mixture. Roll out the top crust
and cover the pie. Seal the crust. Make a few air holes with a for.
Sprinkle some grated nuts mixed with egg yolk and lemon rind on top.
Bake 40 minutes or until golden.
The Jewish Holiday Kitchen by Joan Nathan.