CHOCOLATE ANGEL PIE
- 4 extra-large egg whites, at room
- ²/³ cup(5 oz/155 g) sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) heavy (double)
cream, whipped with 2 tbsp sugar
- miniature chocolate chips for topping
Top with fresh berries or chocolate shavings in
place of the chips, if you like. For a pie with a softer texture,
refrigerate for 1 hour after topping with the whipped cream.
- Position a rack in the middle of an oven
and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. (150 deg C). Generously butter a
10-inch (25 cm) pie plate with 2-inch (5-cm) sides. Dust with flour and
tap out any excess.
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a bowl.
Using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat until stiff and glossy
but not dry. Reduce the speed to low and beat in the cocoa, mixing only
- Pour and scrape the batter into the
prepared pie plate. Use a rubber spatula to smooth the top, building the
rim slightly higher than the center.
- Bake until the egg whites are light brown
and no longer sticky, about 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
completely. The center will sink as it cools.
- Just before serving, fill the center with
the whipped cream. Sprinkle with miniature chocolate chips.
Makes one 10-inch (25-cm) pie; serves 8
WILLIAMS-SONOMA KITCHEN LIBRARY - CHOCOLATE