ITALY: EMILIA-ROMAGNA: SORAGNA
Province code: PR
Zip code: 43019
Phone area code: 0524
Distance from PARMA
27 Km / 17 Miles
Elevation: 47 mt / 155 feet
Synagogue and museum
Via Cavour 43
Open for visits only
Ebraico Fausto Levi di Soragna
Via Cavour 43
Open: Sunday 10 AM - 12:30 PM, 3 PM - 6 PM
Thursday 10 AM - 12:30 PM, 3 PM - 5 PM
AM - 12:30 PM, 3 PM - 5 PM
March to October (except August)
|La storia dell'olocausto dal 1933 al 1945
attraverso diversi percorsi di lettura: un percorso storico lineare
dal 1933 al 1945, un percorso geografico, uno biografico, un altro per
argomenti, uno per la resistenza ebraica, un archivio di documenti.
- HOW TO GET THERE
Highway SS. 9 Emilia, to the west; at Ponte Taro, road north to Fontanellato,
and then to Soragna, 28 Km. from Parma.
Tep extra-urban bus line Parma-Fontanellato-Soragna-Busseto.
- AN IMPORTANT AGRICULTURAL
CENTER WITH ANCIENT ORIGINS
is cited in a diploma of Liutprando from the year 712; in 1198 it became the
property of the Lupi family. The oldest part of the town, with typical
buildings radiating around the central "Voltone", dates from the
17th century. Near the grandiose Rocca are the city hall, 18th
century with its wide arcades; the San Giacomo Parish Church, baroque in
style with a solid square shape, built in the middle of the 1700s; the
Church of San Rocco, from the second half of the 1600s with a fine main
altar, baroque, ornate with beautiful inlays of precious marble; and the
Jewish Synagogue, inaugurated in 1855, with the adjacent important Jewish
Museum, gathering together, in seven sections, documents and objects of the
Parma Jewish community from 1555 to WWII.
Soragna Rocca (fortress), just off the main street in the centre of
town, is a square structure with four towers at its corners and one in
the centre of the fašade, flanked by a wide moat on its south and
It was built about 1385 by the marquis Bonifacio and Antonio Lupi on
licence from Duke Gian Galeazzo Visconti, and is still owned by the
noble family of its founders, who, in 1347, were granted feudal
privileges over the land, which they governed until Napoleon
suppressed the aristocracy.
Transformed into a luxurious princely castle at the end of the 1600s,
it was further modified in the 17th and 18th
centuries by the Meli Lupi princes who still own it and who have
opened the building to public visits.
A stone bridge, built in the 17th century to substitute the
draw-bridge of the old fortress, leads into the arcaded courtyard of
the Rocca, graced with statues of mythological and allegorical
On the ground floor is the Salone degli stucchi (hall of
stuccoes) with frescoes by Ferdinando and Francesco Galli Bibiena,
done in 1696; the grandiose Poets' Gallery, built in 1792, has
busts of the great poets and frescoes illustrating their works.
the upper floor are three interconnecting galleries decorated by the
Bibienas illustrating the feats of the Meli Lupi family, and from here
we enter the noble apartment consisting of a Throne room, a Gilded
parlour and the Alcove, all complete with original
furniture from the 1600s and 1700s.
Like every respectable castle, Soragna too has its ghost. She is known
as "Donna Cenerina", so named for her ash-blonde hair. Her
real name was Cassandra Marinoni, assassinated in 1573 by her
brother-in-law Giulio Anguissola in a dispute over money. Legend
narrates that the ghost appears every time a member of the Meli Lupi
|In 1033, the "Court of Soragna"
was included among property held by the Obertengo family.
|Later on (1347), after having been a
territory of free allodium of the Lupi Marquises, it was passed on
this same family in the form of a feudal investiture of imperial
|Thus it remained until the beginning of
XIXth century, under the dominion of the same family which came to
bear the name Meli Lupi.
|In 1709 Emperor Joseph I granted them
the title of Prince of the Sacred Roman Empire and of Soragna.
|The family of the present Prince Meli
Lupi, can boast of several illustrious characters who, throughout the
centuries, proved themselves in many different fields.
|The Rocca or Fortress of Soraga is cited
as a most unique example of early Baroque: indeed, its rooms house the
same furniture and fittings of the period, most of which were built
and glided in Venice.
|Of equal interest are the fresco and
stucco decorations created by the hands of great artists such as the
brothers Ferdinando and Francesco Galli Bibiena , and other no less
|Painter such as Felice Boselli , known
as "il Brescianino", Nicol˛ dell'Abate, Cesare Baglione and
many other artists, sculptors and engravers are thoroughly represented
by their many works on display.
|The fortress and its grounds may be
visited year-round ( Monday excluded, except for Monday afternoon
reserved for group visits ).
| Source: http://www.wonderful-italy.it/abitare/hotels/soragna.htm
ON THE NET